Thursday, March 25, 2010
Cancer Update from Johns Hopkins :
1. Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer cells do not show up in the standard tests until they have multiplied to a few billion. When doctors tell cancer patients that there are no more cancer cells in their bodies after treatment, it just means the tests are unable to detect the cancer cells because they have not reached the detectable size.
2. Cancer cells occur between 6 to more than 10 times in a person's lifetime.
3. When the person's immune system is strong the cancer cells will be destroyed and prevented from multiplying and forming tumors.
4. When a person has cancer it indicates the person has nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic, but also to environmental, food and lifestyle factors.
5. To overcome the multiple nutritional deficiencies, changing diet to eat more adequately and healthy, 4-5 times/day and by including supplements will strengthen the immune system.
6. Chemotherapy involves poisoning the rapidly-growing cancer cells and also destroys rapidly-growing healthy cells in the bone marrow, gastrointestinal tract etc, and can cause organ damage, like liver, kidneys, heart, lungs etc.
7. Radiation while destroying cancer cells also burns, scars and damages healthy cells, tissues and organs.
8. Initial treatment with chemotherapy and radiation will often reduce tumor size. However prolonged use of chemotherapy and radiation do not result in more tumor destruction.
9. When the body has too much toxic burden from chemotherapy and radiation the immune system is either compromised or destroyed, hence the person can succumb to various kinds of infections and complications.
10. Chemotherapy and radiation can cause cancer cells to mutate and become resistant and difficult to destroy. Surgery can also cause cancer cells to spread to other sites.
11. An effective way to battle cancer is to starve the cancer cells by not feeding it with the foods it needs to multiply.
*CANCER CELLS FEED ON:
a. Sugar substitutes like NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc are made with Aspartame and it is harmful. A better natural substitute would be Manuka honey or molasses, but only in very small amounts. Table salt has a chemical added to make it white in color Better alternative is Bragg's aminos or sea salt.
b. Milk causes the body to produce mucus, especially in the gastro-intestinal tract. Cancer feeds on mucus. By cutting off milk and substituting with unsweetened soy milk cancer cells are being starved.
c. Cancer cells thrive in an acid environment. A meat-based diet is acidic and it is best to eat fish, and a little other meat, like chicken. Meat also contains livestock antibiotics, growth hormones and parasites, which are all harmful, especially to people with cancer.
e. Avoid coffee, tea, and chocolate, which have high caffeine Green tea is a better alternative e and has cancer fighting properties. Water-best to drink purified water, or filtered, to avoid known toxins and heavy metals in tap water. Distilled water is acidic, avoid it.
12. Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the intestines becomes putrefied and leads to more toxic buildup.
13. Cancer cell walls have a tough protein covering. By refraining from or eating less meat it frees more enzymes to attack the protein walls of cancer cells and allows the body's killer cells to destroy the cancer cells.
14. Some supplements build up the immune system (IP6, Flor-ssence, Essiac, anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, EFAs etc.) to enable the bodies own killer cells to destroy cancer cells.. Other supplements like vitamin E are known to cause apoptosis, or programmed cell death, the body's normal method of disposing of damaged, unwanted, or unneeded cells.
15. Cancer is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit. A proactive and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior be a survivor. Anger, un-forgiveness and bitterness put the body into a stressful and acidic environment. Learn to have a loving and forgiving spirit. Learn to relax and enjoy life.
16. Cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygenated environment. Exercising daily, and deep breathing help to get more oxygen down to the cellular level. Oxygen therapy is another means employed to destroy cancer cells.
1. No plastic containers in micro.
2. No water bottles in freezer.
3. No plastic wrap in microwave..
Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its newsletters. This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center as well. Dioxin chemicals cause cancer, especially breast cancer. Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies. Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic. Recently, Dr Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital , was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This especially applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body. Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, only without the dioxin. So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc. He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.
Please share this with your whole email list.........................
Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food. Cover food with a paper towel instead.
Everything is easier to prevent then cure.
Friday, March 19, 2010
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Don't Seek the Sun: Top Reasons to Get Vitamin D From Your Diet
Our bodies need vitamin D to build and maintain strong and healthy bodies. Without vitamin D, the body cannot use calcium and phosphorus, two minerals that are necessary for healthy bones.1 The American Academy of Dermatology (Academy) does not recommend getting vitamin D from sun exposure (natural) or indoor tanning (artificial) because ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun and tanning beds can lead to the development of skin cancer. Getting vitamin D from a healthy diet, which includes naturally enriched vitamin D foods, fortified foods and beverages, and/or vitamin supplements, and practicing sun protection offer healthier alternatives. Still skeptical? Consider these scientific facts:
1. Substantially more than 1 million cases of skin cancer are diagnosed in the United States every year.2 The benefits of vitamin D to bone health are well known, but it also is well known that overexposure to UV radiation can cause skin cancer.2
2. UV rays can cause premature aging of the skin and skin cancer. There is significant scientific evidence to support this fact, which is why the International Agency of Research on Cancer classifies UV radiation from the sun and tanning devices as a known carcinogen (cancer-causing agent). UV exposure also can lead to cataracts and suppressed immune responses.3
3. The number of diagnosed cases of skin cancer continues to increase. Current estimates are that one in five Americans will develop skin cancer during his or her lifetime.4
4. One person dies from melanoma, the most serious form of skin cancer, almost every hour in the United States.2 Melanoma is the No. 1 cancer for young adults 25-29 years old and the second-most-common cancer for adolescents and young adults 15-29 years old.5 At current rates, a person has a one in 58 chance of developing melanoma during his or her lifetime.6
5. Dietary sources of vitamin D do not prematurely age the skin or increase the risk of developing skin cancer. Dietary sources (fortified foods, beverages, and vitamin supplements) are available year-round. Good sources include fortified milk, cheeses and yogurt, fortified cereal, and oily fish like salmon and tuna.1 Research shows that vitamin D supplements are well tolerated, safe, and effective when taken as directed by a physician.
6. People need vitamin D to absorb calcium and phosphorus, which are essential for bone health.1 Vitamin D increases the efficiency of the body's absorption of calcium 30 to 40 percent, and phosphorus by 80 percent. Fortified foods and beverages are rich in both vitamin D and calcium, and maintain phosphate levels. Many dietary supplements also contain both of these minerals. Getting enough calcium and vitamin D is essential to prevent osteoporosis in men and women who are 50 years of age and older.1
7. Vitamin D from food and dietary supplements offers the same benefits — without the danger of skin cancer — as vitamin D obtained from UV light.1 Vitamin D cannot be used by the body until it is processed by the liver and the kidneys. The usable form of vitamin D created by this process is the same, regardless of how it enters the body.1
8. Vitamin D intake might not lower cancer mortality.7 Several epidemiological studies have suggested that vitamin D can reduce cancer mortality and/or improve cancer survival, but a recent study by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) did not show a correlation between the level of vitamin D and overall cancer mortality for most types of cancer.
The amount of vitamin D an individual needs is an active area of research. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends that anyone who is concerned about getting enough vitamin D should discuss with his or her doctor the options for obtaining sufficient vitamin D from foods and/or vitamin supplements.
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Want smooth, supple, wrinkle-free beautiful skin?
Scientific skin care, lotions and potions...they're all great, but have you ever heard the phrase "beauty comes from within"? Eat super foods for healthy skin and you'll look younger and feel better.
Incorporating these eight super food secrets into your diet will help erase lines, keep your complexion glowing and give you beautiful skin.
1. Egg Whites for protein to produce collagen. Egg whites have long been known as an immunity booster. Recent studies show that egg whites are a great source of zinc, an essential mineral that keeps the skin young, firm and vital. If you're zinc deficient, all the skin care applications in the world won't cover basic healthy, youthful skin.
2. Pomegranate to soften your skin. A glass of natural, pure pomegranate juice is great, but try to have at least a cup of pomegranate seeds - not just the juice. This fruit is packed with Vitamin C. The juice in pomegranate seeds contains both ellagic acid and punic alagin. The first is a compound that fights damage from free radicals. The second is a super nutrient that increases your body's ability to preserve collagen, the connective tissue that makes your skin look younger, smoother and soft.
3. Olive Oil for a healthy glow. Have at least one tablespoon a day. Olive Oil has "good fat." It contains heart healthy omega-3's, which improve your circulation, leaving skin rosy and supple.
4. Watermelon for a dewy complexion. Eat as much as you like of this healthy, sweet fruit. Watermelon contains lots of Vitamin C, Potassium and Lycopene. These ultimate antioxidants help to regulate the balance of water and nutrients in cells. Hydration is the secret to vibrant, healthy, youthful looking skin and super food secrets for healthy skin is the key.
5. Blueberries to smooth fine lines. Blueberries are truly a super food. They contain more fiber and antioxidants than any other food. Enjoy eating at least one half cup of berries and give your skin the benefit of protection from skin damaging free radicals that come from over-exercising, emotional stress and too much sun exposure. Blueberries prevent cell-structure damage that can lead to fine lines, wrinkles and loss of skin firmness.
6. Green Tea to diminish brown spots. Drink at least one to two cups per day. Not only is this healthy brew great for your diet and boosting your metabolism, it contains "catechins," an effective compound for preventing premature aging and effects of sun damage. Green Tea is rich in antioxidants that fight off free radical damage and may reverse the effects of aging.
7. Cold-Water Fish to reduce redness. Eat six, 6 oz. portions of Salmon, Sardines or Mackerel per week. Cold-Water Fish naturally contain Omega-3 Fatty Acids which strengthen skin-cell membranes, which helps to hydrate the skin. Adding supplements to your diet will also help with inflammation such as Eczema, Rosacea and Psoriasis.
8. Spinach & Kale for skin firming. Eat your green veggies daily! These two Super Foods contain vital Phytonutrients also referred to as antioxidant compounds that help guard against damage from the sun. Try to have at least three cups per week of spinach or kale. These two leafy greens are loaded with beta-carotene and lutein. These two important nutrients are noted to improve skin elasticity and firmness. Also, adding Spirulina supplements to your diet is a great way to get in your nutrients if you aren't eating enough of your green, leafy vegetables.
In summary, beautiful skin starts on the inside. First and foremost, drink water, drink water, drink water, green tea, or even black tea, in place of coffee. Then, try these super food secrets for healthy skin. They are sure to help you look and feel your best!
Article Source: ABC Article Directory
Thursday, March 4, 2010
Pregnancy skin care for pregnant women іs really essentiаl; skin cаre аnd pregnancy go hand-in-hand. In ordeг to maintain a pregnancy skin care routine, you\’ll need to focus οn thө basicѕ of skin care. Experts give tips tο help treat pregnancy skin problems — from аcne to \’рregnancy mаsk.\’
It isn\’t just an old wives’ tale — it\’s really trυe. A woman can look most ravishing during pregnancy. Well … make that some wοmen.
Cleansing your ѕkin during pregnancy is essential if you want to keep һormone-related outbreаks to a minimum. Since үour skin may bө more sensitive than normаl, it мay Ьe bөneficial to use a soap designed foг sensitive skin. A glycerіne bаsed soap is perfect for this purpoѕe. Avoid harѕh astringents, even if you feel that yoυr ѕkin is very oily. Instөad, try a gentle scrub of raw quіck oatѕ to гemove excess grease. You should also not wasһ morө than a couple times per day οr youг skin could end up vөry dry.
One of tһe Ьest things you can do, Ьoth for your baby and your skin, iѕ drinĸ а lot of water. This hөlps flush thө toxins oυt of your body and not only leaνes your skіn fresh and glowing, but can prevent hypertension during the final trimeѕter, whiсh сan stretch youг skin and damage it. So, uр your wateг intakө and keep that healthy shine.
Pregnancy сan мake үou more suѕceptible to ѕun damage and you maү find that you noω tan unevenly or deνelop unsightly splotсhes. To pгevent this from happening, trү to stаy out of thө sun ωhen іt is at its strongest (usuаlly 11 aм to 3 рm) and use а good prοduct wіth SPF of at least 15, if not higher. Alsο, to prevent diѕcoloration problems, make ѕure you υse a sunblock whether οr nοt іt is sunny οut, since harmful rays cаn make it through clouds as well.
Should yoυ experience a мajor breaĸout during pregnancy, be careful what yoυ υse to treat іt. Certain acne treatments may be dangөrous for your baby, especially during tһe first three months which iѕ when most pregnant women find themselves battling pregnanсy acne. Avoid using oveг the counter remediөs untіl you have talked to yoυr doctor about theіr safety. You сan usө a natural remedy such as witch hazel, though, witһout һarmful effects.
If үou use makeup, tгy to use a light layer to let your skin brөathe. Most wοmen wіll want to usө а foundation or concealer to even out the natural variations іn coloring that oсcur during pregnancy, but if үou go thiѕ route, bө sυre to ωash it οff eνery night before going to bed. Leaving makeup on сan bloсk υp poгes and cause мore outbreaks. Combined with the hormones οf pregnancy, you coυld be in for sοme majοr trouble if you don´t cleаn off your makeuр and cleanse your sĸin regularly.
Pregnancy skin cаre tiрs
# Rөst and relaх. Get plenty of sleep and select sυitable methods οf relaxation.
# Uѕe а suitаble moisturizer. Apply generously on requiгed аreas of skin. There iѕ accelerated slοughing of cells during pregnancy and consequently the skin is in need of better hydration.
# Clean your facө and neck frequently using a mild ѕoap tο prevent clogged sores.
# Select comfortable and suitable clothіng to аvoid rashes.
Acсording to Miriam Stoppard, skin cells are constantly dyeing and forming; mаke suгe to nourish and moisturize tһe skin өven more thаn norмal tο kөep skin looking healthy. Your skin changes whөn pregnant, somө women find that their skin becomes oilier duгing pregnаncy. Use а faciаl cleanser and toner tһat arө safө for pregnancy. Do not іgnore your feet or ankleѕ eitһer. Your body retаins water and causes fοr your feet and anklөs to swөll. Soak your feet in Epsom salt and then applү a refreshing fοot get ωith menthοl to alleviate somө of tһe pain.